10. The food at Camp Howard regularly receives rave reviews by the campers, especially the “Cheesy Rolls!”
9. Attending Camp Howard is a time honored tradition for youth between the ages of 6 and 17.
8. Camp staff annually sit down and review camper surveys to determine the best possible programs to offer the following year making Camp Howard one of the most exciting camps available!
7. The camp purchased 16 new pedal carts, bigger than last year’s version for youth ages 6 through 10.
6. Camp Howard is accredited by the American Camping Association which means we hold ourselves to the highest standards in camping.
5. Camp Howard offers a wide variety of fun activities to do every day while you are at camp that will fill your memory with great stuff for the rest of the year until you come back again!
4. Zip Lines and Giant Swing make the experience for 13 and 14 year olds extra special!
3. The camp pool has been heated since 2012!
2. We recognize and respect the presence of Jesus at Camp Howard!
1.ALL YOUR FRIENDS ARE GOING TO BE AT CAMP HOWARD THIS SUMMER!!!
We said “Thank you” to Tania “Vanderschuere” Rhein for 9 years of service on the Valley Catholic School Board last night. Tania was one of my Teacher Assistants back in the day at St. Mary of the Valley / Valley Catholic. Way to go, Tania! THANK YOU!!! (I can still spell Vanderschuere!)
It was very special to give Dina Marie Hale (formerly Program Director / On-air host @Mater Dei Radio from 2000 through March 2018) a tour of Camp Howard! We toured the new Mary’s Lodge as well as the entire camp! Thanks be to God for the beautiful day!
The hand washing station in front of Mary’s Lodge enables 250 kids to wash up quickly before each meal. This station will include water, troughs, lights & drainage. Hand washing greatly reduces the bugs making it a priority in the new lodge.
I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to get our new youth minister for the Archdiocese of Portland, Richard “Ricky” Shoop out to Camp Howard. Ricky has been in the Portland area all of about 4 months and is getting to know the various parts of Oregon! We had a great lunch and trip to camp engaging in non stop communication the entire trip! April 26, 2018
Below: Sr. Krista, Simone, Carmen (Archdiocese of PDX Development Dir), Ricky, Connor (CYO Social Media).
The “King Kids” are a local family who have helped out in a bunch of ways at Camp Howard over the years! The recent warm weather gave them an opportunity to help Karen get the garden planted and ready for summer. Today they worked over the rhubarb plants! The rhubarb plants are used as ingredients for famous deserts at the camp and loved by the kids!
Note From Karen (Property Director at Camp Howard):
“We needed this rain today to settle the dust. It is forecast to get warm and dry next week again. I will start preparing the area around the new dining hall to seed to grass. That is going to be a job. Have to get the rocks out of there. Thank heavens I have those kids. We will start with that. Then power rake it. Pick up more rocks. Then seed, fertilize, lime, pack, hope for water.
The picture is Gabe and Elly King. We were putting fresh bark dust in the garden around the rhubarb plants. We have already taken our first harvest off of them. We have 20 plants. I want one more row eventually. I will divide the plants again next year. That will get my 3rd row.”