March 11, 2018 BEAVERTON, OR
7th Grade Girls CYO City Basketball Championships
Home Team: St. John Fisher (White)
Coach(s): Jason D’Ambrosio, Jason Hawthorne, Scott Olsen
Player first names: Reese, Catie, Addison, Isabella, Morgan, Isabel, Rosali, Alexandra, Cayton, Grace
Visiting Team: All Saints (Green
Coaches: Ron DePalma, James MacCallum
Players: Olivia, Chloe, Ava, Shannon, Charlotte, Mackenzie, Abigail, Sarah, Molly, Corinne
Q1: 8-6 All Saints
Q2: 18 – 7 All Saints
Q3: 24 – 11 All Saints
Q4: 30 – 21 All Saints
- All Saints slowly and patiently set up the ball on most possessions and moved it around until they had a shot.
- All Saints had the height advantage and followed up on their missed shots for conversions.
- John Fisher was the quicker team with great ball handling skills. They had a hard time penetrating All Saints defense to get inside to the basket.
- With under three minutes left, St. John Fisher caught on fire and made a comeback.
- With 44 seconds left in the game, St. John Fisher had closed the gap to 5 points and the pressure was on!
- All Saints was held scoreless through most of the quarter letting SJF close in.
- John Fisher could not close the gap but gave All Saints a good run for their money in the last quarter.
FINAL: All Saints 30 – 21
March 8, 2018
CYO City Basketball Championships
Home Team: St. Andrew Nativity
Coach(s): Dion Ragsdale
Player first names: Ayanna, Nickara, Genesis, Ge’Aira, Deborah, Nakya, Ebani, Yanci, Genesis, Bobbie Skyy, dulce, Haley, Melissa, Estrella
Visiting Team: St. Pius X
Coaches: Robert Centis,
Players: (will be added)
Q1: 10 – 7
Q2: 20 – 17
Q3: 26 – 20
Q4: 31 – 27
Great defensive game during the 1st quarter. Both teams were applying pressure from the beginning.
The first half of the game was played hard by both teams. The score was close. Both teams had big rosters and did a great job rotating the girls in and out to keep them fresh.
St. Pius X gained the lead in the 3rd quarter with some big offensive rebounds.
St. Andrew Nativity was able to gain back the lead and keep it during the 4th quarter. They had some big steals in the 4th quarter to help them win the game.
St. Andrew Nativity 31 – 27
March 8, 2018
CYO City Basketball Championships 5th Grade Girls
Home Team: St. Matthew (white)
Coach(s): David Loza, Jeff tuck
Player first names: Chanelle, Anya, Braxtyn, Naomi, Alyssa, Emerson, Ellie, Natalie, Berkleigh, Isabel, London
Visiting Team: St. Cecilia (Blue)
Coaches: Erika Bayless, Curt Fingal
Players: Audrey, Grace, Ella, Alise, Sophia, Sarah, Julia, Mia, Margaret, Sophia
Q1: 11-7 St. Matthew
Q2: 22-15 St. Matthew
Q3: 39 – 22 St. Matthew
Q4: 47 – 28 St. Matthew
- Intense defense for St. Matthew and St. Cecilia (lots of ball pressure)
- Crowd and atmosphere were spectacular! Parents and benches for both sides invested in their kids and teammates.
- Cecilia great cheers in between quarters and timeouts (You gotta want it to win it!)
- Strong 8-0 run in the 2nd quarter increased gap to 17 – 9
- Intense defense carried into 2nd half with full court pressure by both sides
- #22 on St. Matthew great drive to hoop for layup and steals inboud pass for another great layup
- Huge 3rd quarter for St. Matthew took the lead up to 17 thanks to smothering defense
- #23 hit a deep 3 with 1:30 to go in the 4th quarter to put on an exclamation point
- Great team chant for St. Cecilia cheering their team on to the very end
St. Matthew 47 – 28
CYO/Camp Howard Champions of Faith Benefit Dinner October 17, 2017
“Join me for an Evening of Camaraderie and Philanthropy”
CYO/Camp Howard needs your support for our annual fundraising dinner! I invite you to experience a fun-filled evening of camaraderie and philanthropy:
- Visit with friends, sport coaches and community leaders
- Meet the Portland Catholic Community
- Enjoy an inspiring keynote speech by Nick Robertson, a true sports icon
- Collectively fund scholarships to ensure our youth can participate in CYO and Camp Howard Programs
To register, sponsor or donate, visit our website. View our 15 second commercial or video that illustrates how the Dinner funds help families in our community. See our dinner flyer for a quick overview.
Blessings to you!
The Christ Child Society of Portland made money available for Camp Howard to build basketball courts in 2010 with a little left over to go toward the cover which was installed in 2015. The three full sized basketball courts have been a game changer at the camp on rainy days and sunny days alike as the cover provides refuge from the rains and the sun.
When the busses for the summer programs arrive at the camp they unload campers under the Christ Child courts. The facility provides wonderful options for the camp from organization of people, sorting luggage on a rainy day, to all kinds of activities during the week rain or shine. Last year, arts and crafts took place on the other side of the blue curtains pictured below. #sistersblogs #cyocamphoward
April 12, 2017 CYO/CH…The lasertag and paintball courses have been redone at Camp Howard this winter by Ashtien King, Assistant to the Property Director. Ashtien is no stranger to either sport and has put his own personal touch on the stations.
The Paintball range has moved to a location below Aldergrove Unit which will be exciting for the kids.
A new laser tag shed is under construction to store the materials in during the summer. Campers age 11 and up are eligible to participate in the laser tag program at Camp Howard.
Above: Laser tag arena at Camp Howard has new areas to hide behind this year.
It all began today with somewhere around 1800 participants signed up to compete around the Greater Portland area including Clark County, WA. Before we know it, the four short weeks of meets will be over and we will find ourselves in the championships! With the inclusion of Roadrunners (grades 3&4) in two regional meets with finals heading to the Meet of Champions, it proved to be very exciting for all. This year CYO will be introducing medals for the championships across the board. CYO is introducing the new Cadet medals for 2017. Roadrunner and Cubs will receive the standard CYO Track and Field Medals which will be exciting for them as well.
Good luck this season to all participants. See you at the Meet of Champions!